Sunday, September 6, 2009

Week -- Survived and Passed!!

Well this week began with our first Fundamental midblock exam, bright and early Monday morning. We actually only have three "classes": Fundamentals (pretty much all your basic sciences), Osteopathic Doctoring (how to take a physical, radiology, ethics, etc) and OMM (Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine). And our semester is divided into three "blocks" with a midblock between each one. So Monday we had our first Fundamentals midblock, and I passed! Woohoo! Definite weight lifted off my shoulders there!! Plus, now I know what I need to work on, how the test works, etc.

In preparation for our midblock, Nourah and I decided to take a study/tanning bikeride:It was super fun! Biking around (and off) the island and along the water is so pretty and super relaxing (even when you're trying to study with each other)

Tuesday was good for two reasons: my first meeting with the Christian Club! It was a quite a group; we all met at a professors house on the island and his wife made lunch for all of us! It was really nice (even though I got into a debate with this super-intense evangelical about how Catholics are Christians too) and I made some new friends, including this really sweet second year who's my prayer buddy for the week. So that was good. And then we had our first OMM mini-practical, which I also passed! (It was only pass or retest, but I was glad that I passed on the first attempt!) I was a little nervous because the professor I had testing me is super intense and always looks at you like you're doing it wrong, but I guess I did it right because he said I passed. :)

The rest of the week was super relaxed since midblocks are over even though BLOCKS ARE COMING (Sept 14-17) which is totally scary because its like finals for all three classes, plus a lab practical with our cadavars. So I'm nervous/already studying for that!
But on Thursday night, my roommates and I got to go to Benicia's Market Night! So we bought lots of yummy produce and homemade pasta and kettle korn and indian food :)
We were very excited about the Farmer's Market
Checking out the booths....note the beautiful view; right on the water!

This weekend has been a relaxing mix of studying and relaxing though. Yesterday, Angela and I drove up to Sacramento to go to the CA State Fair! We met my friend Mark from YCS (I went to elementary school with his little brother, Greg) who's living in Tahoe now, and the three of us ate lots of yummy fair food, saw all the animals, and Angela and I even made butter :) It was a super fun day!At the State Fair! (Note our matching shorts and very patriotic coordination :))
We got to hang out with the Govenator...
...be fruit flies and Japanese beetles...
...go on a hunt for curly fries...success!
...eat curly fries...
...drink "old fashioned root beet" with no high fructose corn syrup....
...make our own butter...
....and hang out with llamas. All in all, it was a good day :)

Today I tried out a new church, studied, tanned and studied in the park, and went for what was supposed to be a leisurely 3 mile run with Nourah.....45 minutes and 4.8 miles later, I was exhuasted!!! But then I couldn't be too upset with her for taking me on such a long run, because she made HOMEMADE APPLE PIE!!! Amazing.
SO GOOD.

Tomorrow since we don't have class, Nourah and I are going on a bike ride, followed by lots of studying, and hopefully some apple pie eating :)

Aunt Diane and Unka, thanks so much for all the comments and texts :) I'm coming home in two weeks and I can't wait to see you; love you!!

Also, in church this week, we sang the hymn "Be Not Afraid." I LOVE hymns and thought this one was particularly good:
You shall cross the barren desert, but you shall not die of thirst.
You shall wander far in safety though you do not know the way.
You shall speak your words in foreign lands and all will understand.
You shall see the face of God and live.
Be not afraid.
I go before you always.
Come follow me, and
I will give you rest.
If you pass through raging waters in the sea, you shall not drown.
If you walk amid the burning flames, you shall not be harmed.
If you stand before the pow'r of hell and death is at your side, know that
I am with you through it all.

1 comment:

  1. Now that is a newsy blog. I'm thinking of becoming a DO so I can go up there and have fun with you. Leave it to Jolie to join in and find fun things to do. Happy about the test so far and all the connections you are making. We love you and are so proud we could burst.

    ReplyDelete