Saturday, August 8, 2009

Dissecting!

So yesterday, we had class from 8-3. Not as bad as 8-3, but still long. The first 4 hours were all non-science classes...the history of osteopathic medicine (apparently UCI's med school used to be a DO school),how to interview different types of patients, and cultural competency (we're supposed to call handicapped patients 'disabled' because the term 'handicapped' came from when they used to have to beg with a cap in their hands and they don't like that term anymore....also always 'asian' NEVER 'oriental')

So after that we had a lunch break and then, CADAVERS. I'm not gonna lie, at the beginning I was SUPER nervous and worried that I would faint...and then some kid started asking where we should go if we have to throw up or something and it made me more nervous. But then we started unwrapping the bodies (they're all embalmed and shrouded) and I got to do the first cut!! It was so so interesting and the smell really isn't that bad (we have an amazing ventilation system). We just worked on the back so the head and lower part of the body were still covered. Right now we're just looking at all the muscles...there's a lot to learn!

After that I came home, ran, showered, and straightened my hair for this social for 1st and 2nd years someone had on the island! So my roommates and I all walked over. It was really fun and I met a few second years (including my "big brother") and got to know people in my class more.

And I survived my first week! I'll end with this quote that one of my professors found and I absolutely loved:
"The practice of medicine is an art, not a trade; a calling, not a business;
a calling in which your hear will be exercised equally with your head."
--Sir William Osler

1 comment:

  1. Great timing with lunch then cadavers for dessert. I'm real proud that you stepped up to be the first to cut. Never one to be shy and hold back. Sounds like you are off with flying colors.
    I think this is great that we can keep up to date with your studies and social events. Speaking of, "big brother"? I will need all the specifics so I can begin my routine background check before this goes any farther. You know the drill!

    Saw movie last night you might enjoy, The Insider. Alot of F bombs that you can ignore if possible but a great story.
    One man told the truth. Another reported the story. Both paid the price. The Insider -- a true tale about a Big Tobacco scientist (Russell Crowe) who exposed industry secrets, and the newsman (Al Pacino) who fought corporate forces that would have squelched the story -- offers a glimpse into power, media and money in America. A thought-provoking and thrilling film.

    See ya
    Unka

    ReplyDelete